A blog about motorcycles, motorcyclists, and motorcycle shops

Musings on riding and working on bikes, and observations as I travel and visits bikers, riders, motorcyclists, events and shops

Amazon

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Tool Review: Harbor Freight Lift Table

I'm still working on the rattle can paint job and will post an update in the next few days on that project.  But to keep from going too long without a post, here's my update on the Harbor Freight Lift Table I have owned for about three years.  Like many Harbor Freight products, by watching their website, flyers and ads I was able to get a pretty good deal on it-I think about 50% of it's normal list price.  While a solid piece of equipment, the normal list price seems high compared to other table lifts that are a few hundred dollars (or more) expensive but also higher quality.  That said, at the current web price of $429.99 (as of 9/24) I think it's a satisfactory lift and if you can get it even cheaper, there is more money for improvements or other tools.

There is the picture of the lift (from the Harbor Freight website-my lift looks the same, well with some stickers, fluids, dirt, a bit of damage but more on that as we go!).  Don't be freaked out by the ramp hanging off the back-it comes off easily, and most times when I raise mine I take it off.  It's fairly sturdy, as is the table itself.  I have put both a Kawasaki Concours and a Concours parts bike on the lift without any concerns.  I haven't gotten to the 1000 pound advertised capability, but the Connie is about 2/3s that weight.

Goods:

Price for the home mechanic
Assembly is straightforward and mainly the installation of the chock parts and the wheels to the frame
Durable construction-Again, for the home mechanic, most components will outlast me
Two heights for locking bar to be passed through legs and lock lift in-both get the bike up at decent heights to work on seated or standing

Bads:
Front chock isn't very secure.   Either tie down the bike EVERY TIME or replace the chock (more later)
Mounting hardware for wheels and chock low quality-I snapped one bolt during installation without much torque whatsoever
Cylinder leaks, but could be from not using lift for almost 2 years while remodeling house/garage
While lock bar is substantial, two heights are sometimes too limiting

I have used this lift for various projects and also use it as an adjustable height workbench at times.  Over-all I am pleased with it with the major warning that the front wheel chock should be replaced.  One of the local independent shops uses this lift as their back-up lift (with a power lift being their go-to lift) and have mounted a wheel chock that almost doubles the value of the lift table.  Another option I am considering is mounting a Cycle Gear Trackside Wheel chock in place of the chock on the lift.

With that caveat, I'd recommend this to someone looking to get a lift table for periodic use, especially on lighter bikes.

No comments: