A blog about motorcycles, motorcyclists, and motorcycle shops

Musings on riding and working on bikes, and observations as I travel and visits bikers, riders, motorcyclists, events and shops

Amazon

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

You win some, you lose some

Last night kind of late I got started on two motorcycle maintenance projects on the Kawasaki Concours.  I needed the time in the garage, but was taking care of other things throughout the day and early evening.  So later than I planned I started the first project, which was pulling the front wheel and tire off of the 1986 Connie.  As usual, I had to get help getting the bike onto the centerstand, something I've only been able to do once or twice by myself.  I used a floor jack under the front of the engine to shift and keep the weight to the rear and then gathered the assorted tools to take the wheel off.  It's actually quite simple-6 mm allen key for the axle clamps, 10 mm allen key for the brake caliper bolts (on the older C10s-the newer one is a 12 mm head on the bolt), and a 12 mm allen key for the axle.  The speedometer simply unscrews and that's it.  So in no time at all I had the wheel off and ready to go to Poway Motorcycles today to have the new tire mounted and balanced.

So with a few extra minutes I attempted to bleed the replacement brake set on the new-to-me 1994 Concours.  This maintenance project took the rest of my time, and unfortunately the brake lever is just as spongey now as before I started messing with it.  This is the brake system I mounted back a little while ago (as I posted here) so it's obviously not a priority project!  I could make the excuse that bleeding brakes by yourself is hard (it is) but I've done it before.  So it's time to go through the whole system tightening banjo bolts and trying again.  Still a ways from taking the new bike on a test ride, but that's ok.  Well, sort of!

No comments: