A blog about motorcycles, motorcyclists, and motorcycle shops

Musings on riding and working on bikes, and observations as I travel and visits bikers, riders, motorcyclists, events and shops

Amazon

Friday, January 20, 2012

Winter project number one-Kawasaki Concours

Here's my second bike-a 1986 Kawasaki Concours.  If you aren't familiar with the "Connie", they debuted in 1986 when Kawasaki took their new Ninja 1000, converted it to shaft drive and added a larger fairing and sport touring trim.  This was one of the first sport tourers, and immediately found a loyal following.  Kawasaki produced the Concours 1000 (aka C10 model) for 20 years with only minor changes and upgrades, the main one being an improved front end and standard wheel sizes in the 90s.  In 2006, the last C10s were made, and after a short hiatus, Kawasaki introduced the Concours 1400, now based on the Ninja 14.  This bike has also found a niche as a "super" sport tourer.

My bike has been sitting for a little over a year as we have remodeled a house and I've ridden my Sportster.  Now that we are moving into the house the garage will be available to get this bike running again.  I'll post the repairs and upgrades as I go-likely will pull the carbs, rebuild them, completely flush and fill all fluids and check the valves.  This particular year of Connie has a valve issue called "tuliping" but many folks have advised me that my bike wouldn't have made it 84K+ if there was an issue.  Considering I only have about $1200 into the bike, the parts are worth almost as much as the running bike, but I'd like to take it over 100,000 miles.  I've never had a bike make it that far yet.

Have a good weekend riding!

No comments: