A blog about motorcycles, motorcyclists, and motorcycle shops

Musings on riding and working on bikes, and observations as I travel and visits bikers, riders, motorcyclists, events and shops

Amazon

Thursday, October 23, 2014

"Belle of the Ball" my 1994 Connie back on the road and turning into Frankenbike

Necessity is the mother of invention, and also sometimes the motivation for motorcycle repairs.  I've been slowly restoring my 1994 Concours.  It's definitely been more "slowly" than "restoring".  Well, recently my 1986 Connie suffered some electrical issues and my truck stopped running right (probably fuel delivery, but possibly carbs).  So I moved some parts back to the 94, put other parts back on, and got it running right.  Tonight I rolled "Belle" over 15,000 miles.  Yep, a 1994 with not even 1,000 miles per year, when some folks do Iron Butts on these bikes and rack up 1000 miles in a day!

The bike is known as "Belle" as right now she is nowhere near the Belle of the Ball as there are missing and cracked parts, road rash on the belly pan, missing bolts on the windshield.  To top that off, I'm using a red 1984 gas tank on a purple and grey bike.  And it's going to get worse before it gets better.  You see, the Concours main fairing is notorious for cracking around the turn signals, and this one is no exception.  Matter of fact, the 1994 main fairing is so bad both turn signals are held in by epoxy.  Well, were held in-the left one fell out last ride (back in August).  Fortunately it fell back into the bike as the wiring held it on.  Duct tape didn't work, so I checked out the old parts Connie main fairing I had kept.  Not only does it have the least damage of any of the three mains I have, it even has the turn signal screws in the threaded posts!  Woo hoo.  I'm going to clean it up and move everything from the main fairing on Belle to this one.  So I'll basically use parts from 3 Connies to make one-but when this Frankenbike is finished, I'll have one of the lowest mileage Concours C10s on the road!

No comments: